What to do this Month – January
- Sow broad beans in pots in mild areas, placing them in a cold frame or unheated greenhouse.
- Sow seed indoors for early crops eg: lettuces, summer brassicas (e.g. cabbages and cauliflowers), spinach, salad onions and turnips.
- Sow onion seed in a heated propagator.
- Look out for grey mould and brassica downy mildew on brassicas
- Plant bare-root trees and bushes, as long as the soil isn’t frozen.
- Check apples for canker and prune out.
- Keep checking stored fruits and remove rotten ones.
- Apply winter washes to fruit trees and bushes.
- Apply a top dressing of sulphate of potash to all fruits and nuts.
These tips have been taken from the Royal Horticultural Society, Grow your own section. Full details can be seen at